Skip to main content

Fireworks & Your Dog

As fun as fireworks can be for us humans, unfortunately, they are quite the opposite to most dogs. More dogs run away on July 4th than any other day of the year. Not only are fireworks loud and terrifying, but improperly disposed fireworks or large groups of people also pose a risk for dogs.

Make sure your pup has updated identification tags, in the event that they do run off. If your pet is micro-chipped, contact the vet to ensure your contact information is up to date. Ensure you have current, updated, clear photos of your pets.

If you are leaving the house, bring your pets inside (even if you have a fenced in yard) in case neighbors set off fireworks close by, your dog may be able to jump higher than expected when frightened or be forced to find an emergency escape route. Even if you think your dog will be fine, losing your pet is not a risk worth taking.

Even if you think your dog is "calm" around other unexpected loud activities, it's best to leave your pet at home where they will feel safe and away from loud noises. Do not bring your pet with you to view fireworks or to any unfamiliar territory where there will be any fireworks of any kind.
Keep your pet inside if neighbors are shooting off fireworks
Keep sparklers, glow sticks, fireworks, charcoal, and skewers away from curious pets
Don't let pets go near your barbecue grill while in use or still hot
Keep pets away from lighter fluid and matches - ingestion can be toxic
Remember that too much sun and heat (and humidity) can be dangerous to pets. Keep them inside when it's extremely hot/humid.
Provide a safe space from loud noises with their favorite comforting blankets, toys, etc.
Leave the TV or radio on, or any other comforting, relaxing background noise to provide them with some comfort
Use pet-friendly insect repellents and sunscreens, this includes oils, candles, insect coils, and other citronella-based repellants
Don't forget that alcohol is TOXIC to dogs - if ingested, signs of poisoning include weakness, depression, difficulty breathing, hypoglycemia, or coma/death. You may think they are just "intoxicated", but they aren't!
Keep in mind that some foods that are great tasting for us are toxic or bad for our dogs! Be aware when grilling out or having others over that they don't get fed table scraps!


Popular posts from this blog

Brand New Salon

Hello! Welcome to our blog! We are a brand new grooming salon that provides services for both cats and dogs in Bon Air. We are located on Buford Road next to Buford Road Pharmacy. Since opening, we have received several questions from clients asking if we are affiliated with the salon that was previously here, Burroughs. We purchased the salon in November and since it has been cleaned, remodeled, and upgraded. The salon is under completely new ownership, new management, and we are in no way affiliated with Burroughs! Our Salon has a completely open concept so that we can visually see your pet the whole time they are in our care. We take every precaution to guarantee safety, which is why we have cameras throughout our facility. We never use any type of heated dryers or enclosed crates. Unlike corporate salons, our main goal is to ensure safety, quality, and a more personable experience.

Our Story Mr. Herbert Alexander, the owner of Bows & Bones Pet Grooming, opened the salon in Apr…

Hyponatraemia - Water Intoxication in Dogs

Many dogs love a good swim or playing fetch in the water. These activities seem pretty harmless to your pup, especially considering how much fun they are having. However, your pup can have too much of a good thing. A lot of pet owners don't realize that it's actually possible for your dog can have too much water. Water intoxication, which results in life threatening hyponatremia (excessively low sodium levels), is a relatively rare but frequently fatal condition in dogs. Dogs who enjoy playing in water for long periods of time are at the highest risk. However, even a lawn sprinkler or hose can pose a hazard for pets that love to snap at or "catch" spraying water.

Hyponatremia occurs when more water enters the body than it can process. The presence of so much water dilutes bodily fluids, creating a potentially dangerous shift in electrolyte balance. The excess water depletes sodium levels in extracellular fluid (fluid outside of cells). Sodium maintains blood pressure…

Types of Flea & Tick Prevention

Fleas can be a pain in the tail to get rid of. Although fleas are less active in the Winter, they are still able to live in warm micro environments such as your house year round so it's important to keep your dog on his/her regular flea/tick prevention treatment. In today's market, there are several different treatment options for flea & tick prevention. It's important to know about the different options, how they work, and how they can effect your pet.

Some people see fleas and think "no big deal, they just make my dog itch", give their pet a flea bath and call it a day. It's important to know the dangers of fleas and why they need to be taken care of ASAP. Fleas can cause a wide variety of issues for your pets. The most common issue is flea bite dermatitis which is a specific allergy to flea saliva, which leads to intense itching and scratching. That constant itching allows the skin to break open and form scabs that can get infected. This can easily war…