Skip to main content

Tips For The Holidays

As exciting as the holidays are, sometimes all the strange people, noises, and things going on can be overwhelming to your furry friends. With Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas all around the corner, here's some helpful hints to get you through the holidays.

General Tips:
Stick as closely as possible to your normal routine - try not to vary your dog's feeding, walking, or playtime schedule

Avoid giving your dog table scraps as some of the foods we enjoy can be harmful or deadly to our pets. As a reminder, alcohol is also toxic to dogs.

If you host or bring your dog to a party, remember that some guests may not be comfortable with dogs and as a result, their energy (see energy blog post) may frighten or make your dog uncomfortable or just being around strange, new people in general may cause your dog to be uneasy.

Halloween:
Trick-or-treat candies are not for pets. All forms of chocolate can be dangerous and even lethal to dogs. Small amounts of Xylitol can cause liver failure and death in dogs.

Don't leave pets out in the yard - vicious pranksters have been known to tease, injure, steal, or even kill pets on Halloween night.

Keep pets confined and away from the door as they may try to run out or be started by unknown strangers approaching their territory

Keep lit pumpkins, electric and battery-powered Halloween decorations out of reach.


Thanksgiving:
Turkey bones can pose a choking risk to dogs. Avoid giving your dog any bones from human food. Raw yeast can also be a life-threatening food. It's best to all around avoid giving your dog table scraps to avoid issues.

Keep an eye on the holiday table and secure leftovers and garbage bins from curious dogs

Christmas:
Holly, mistletoe, and poinsettia plants are poisonous to dogs. Keep these out of reach. Avoid edible ornaments, cranberry, or popcorn string as your dog may knock over the tree in attempt to reach them.

Lights on lower branches of Christmas trees can overheat and burn your dog. Watch out for electrical cords as some dogs may chew them and get electrocuted.

Avoid glass ornaments which can break and easily cut a dog's feet and mouth. Tinsel is also dangerous to dogs as it can obstruct circulation and if swallowed, block the intestines.

Both live and artificial tree needles are sharp and indigestible. Consider blocking off your tree with a baby gate, play pen, or other "fence"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brand New Salon

Hello! Welcome to our blog! We are a brand new grooming salon that provides services for both cats and dogs in Bon Air. We are located on Buford Road next to Buford Road Pharmacy. Since opening, we have received several questions from clients asking if we are affiliated with the salon that was previously here, Burroughs. We purchased the salon in November and since it has been cleaned, remodeled, and upgraded. The salon is under completely new ownership, new management, and we are in no way affiliated with Burroughs! Our Salon has a completely open concept so that we can visually see your pet the whole time they are in our care. We take every precaution to guarantee safety, which is why we have cameras throughout our facility. We never use any type of heated dryers or enclosed crates. Unlike corporate salons, our main goal is to ensure safety, quality, and a more personable experience.


Our Story Mr. Herbert Alexander, the owner of Bows & Bones Pet Grooming, opened the salon in Apr…

Hyponatraemia - Water Intoxication in Dogs

Many dogs love a good swim or playing fetch in the water. These activities seem pretty harmless to your pup, especially considering how much fun they are having. However, your pup can have too much of a good thing. A lot of pet owners don't realize that it's actually possible for your dog can have too much water. Water intoxication, which results in life threatening hyponatremia (excessively low sodium levels), is a relatively rare but frequently fatal condition in dogs. Dogs who enjoy playing in water for long periods of time are at the highest risk. However, even a lawn sprinkler or hose can pose a hazard for pets that love to snap at or "catch" spraying water.

Hyponatremia occurs when more water enters the body than it can process. The presence of so much water dilutes bodily fluids, creating a potentially dangerous shift in electrolyte balance. The excess water depletes sodium levels in extracellular fluid (fluid outside of cells). Sodium maintains blood pressure…

Types of Flea & Tick Prevention

Fleas can be a pain in the tail to get rid of. Although fleas are less active in the Winter, they are still able to live in warm micro environments such as your house year round so it's important to keep your dog on his/her regular flea/tick prevention treatment. In today's market, there are several different treatment options for flea & tick prevention. It's important to know about the different options, how they work, and how they can effect your pet.

Some people see fleas and think "no big deal, they just make my dog itch", give their pet a flea bath and call it a day. It's important to know the dangers of fleas and why they need to be taken care of ASAP. Fleas can cause a wide variety of issues for your pets. The most common issue is flea bite dermatitis which is a specific allergy to flea saliva, which leads to intense itching and scratching. That constant itching allows the skin to break open and form scabs that can get infected. This can easily war…